There are a few things that happened in Ethiopia that I didn't want to mention until we got home from our trip because I didn't want our family and friends to worry about us or Porter.
On Monday when we took custody of Porter they told us that he was running a fever and wasn't feeling well. Once we got him back to our room we took his temperature and it was over 101.. we had no idea what to do. I ran up to our friends room and they said to give him Tylenol fever reducer and put a cold wash cloth on his head. After a few hours of him vomiting, having diarrhea, and a temperature we went back over to the care center with him; we all thought it would be best for him to stay there for the night.
The following day was our Embassy appointment. We had to take him with us to the appointment. I was very nervous that he was going to scream the whole appointment and be sick. When we went to pick him up around 11 or so, they still didn't have any test results back yet on what was causing the fever and illness. They had just given him his first dose of antibiotics. Chris was not a happy camper during the appointment.. he was upset that we had to take Porter with us, because he was so sick.
Luckily, he slept the entire drive to and from the appointment as well as the two hours in the waiting room. We were allowed to go first in our group, and they all cheered once we were done. You normally wait for your entire group to be done before you leave, but they let us leave early with Porter, since he was sick. Once we got him back to the care center Sister Martha thought it was best for him to be admitted to the hospital and for IV fluids and more antibiotics. It was scary but I was still calm.
On Wednesday he still was not better so they kept him the entire day and another night. Under normal circumstances they probably wouldn't have admitted him but because we needed to get on a flight Thursday evening.. they thought it was best.
Our packet of paperwork from the Embassy was ready for pick up at the Holt office on Thursday morning. Once we were there they told us that we could go to the hospital since Porter was ready to be discharged. They armed us with medication and off we went.
One thing I didn't mention is that I fell down some stairs a few days before.. luckily I just had a huge bruise on my rump-shaker. But, I had been hobbling around for a couple days. Once we got the hospital.. I was like.. GAME ON.. I want my boy.. and am ready to take him home. There was no hobbling to get him.. you should have seen how fast I was walking!
There were other Holt families with us at the hospital since we had just come from picking up our Embassy packets. Everyone was so patient and didn't mind waiting for us to get our boy. I was just so glad to finally have him and READY to get goin' home!
Sunday, September 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment